Child Support

Child Support: Striving for What is Fair

Every divorce has its share of challenges. One of the most frequent areas of contention and concern for divorcing parents involves child support issues. The parent to receive support wants to make sure the kids have the support they need, and the paying spouse wants the same but also doesn’t want to overpay for that support.

If you are facing a child support dispute in a divorce or separation, make sure you get the help of an experienced attorney who can protect your rights while making sure your children have adequate financial support.

With offices in Williamsport, the child support attorneys at Schemery Zicolello represent clients throughout Central Pennsylvania in all types of divorce matters. Our lawyers are experienced in handling child support matters in Lycoming and surrounding counties. In addition, we are well-versed with the dealings of the Pennsylvania Division of Child Support Enforcement.

Establishing Child Support

Ideally, parents of children are able to reach an agreement as to the amount of child support to be paid by the non-custodial parent. If they are unable to agree, the parent with child custody generally petitions the Domestic Relations Office to determine the amount under the commonwealth’s child support guidelines. The guidelines are a mathematical formula that are subject to annual change and can be difficult to fully understand.

Pennsylvania’s guidelines take into account each parent’s income, whether the non-custodial parent pays child support for a previous relationship, health care costs and possible day care expenses. In some rare cases, judges may order the non-custodial parent to pay an amount of child support that deviates from the guideline. The veteran attorneys at Schemery Zicolello know the nuances and difficulties that arise during child support court cases. We want to ensure that your rights are protected as a parent.

Experienced Representation In Child Support And Modification

Although a court order is the best indicator of when support is due, a non-custodial parent should always provide financial support for his or her children. It should be duly noted that if a party files for child support with the court, any award that is made will be retroactive to the date the petition was filed. If no support is paid between the time the petition is filed and the date it is awarded by the judge, then the non-custodial parent is required to pay arrears.

If you are attempting to be paid those arrears, or if you are a non-custodial parent who is asking to be paid money that you do not owe, Schemery Zicolello can help. We will seek out the facts and gainfully present them to the court on your behalf.

We Are Here To Help ∙ Contact Schemery Zicolello

Regardless of your situation regarding child support, Schemery Zicolello can help. For over 20 years, our lawyers have been helping people in all areas of family law. If you have any questions, please call today at 570-321-7554, or contact us online. Child support cases can be a tricky matter, so please make sure that your rights as a parent are protected.